Saturday, November 8, 2008

Nov 8th My name, whee!

Right up front I would like to thank Laurie for this topic. It excites me to no end. That was heavy sarcasm bordering on a light sprinkling of spite.

I was named by grandfather. He named me after his grandfather who he loved and admired. My grandfather was a man I looked up to and respected. I suppose my grandchild will feel the same about me. It seems to be a pattern. I grew up in a big family where there were half brothers and sisters and nothing was directly connected by pure blood lines. I also, for other reasons I won't mention, was singled out and doted on by my relatives. I felt special and unique. So to have the first and middle name of Joe and Burt, you can only imagine how excited I was. I also grew up in the country where three out of five kids dads were drivers for Nascar or truck drivers. I continuously worked to remove myself from that environment. My name didn't help the cause one bit. So I went by J.B. too, trying to find some solace in my personality disorder. That too sounded rural. After years of never liking the sound of my own name and cringing when I heard Joe Blow or Joe Shmoe or Joe Cool I changed the spelling. It is now JBee. I can't explain why it worked but it has. I am okay with JBee for now.

2 comments:

Sinclair Fleetwood said...

I actually subconsciously thought Laurie just spelled it that way due to some inside joke or something. I like it though. And I can definitely relate to growing up in Nascar world. I'm from Amarillo. Cool story.

tipsy texter said...

wow, you went all the way? i'm proud, B, i'm proud.