Monday, January 12, 2009

Jan 5th Deus Ex

I am hardwired to take blame and process my relationship problems as a need to change and grow in areas where I fall short. I do not fault the other person. Even when they are truly the ones that suck I tell myself I am at fault for being with them. I understand the lop-sided dynamic of it all. In short, I tried my very best to come up with some thing to write to an ex but there was nothing to say. No words come to mind.

To all my exes in my life,
Thanks for teaching me something, no matter how trivial it might have been. We might have dated for a day, went steady for a month or were married for nearly a decade. You have all affected me in some way or another. It was my pleasure. I hope you have rich love lives and can feel the same sort of gratitude about the whole experience. There are so many sad-faced people stuck on their warped versions of pasts and past relationships. It is a lesson in futility (I should know as I have a phd in that very subject). You taught me that while love, in its many forms, is a requirement, it is not the only thing needed to make a relationship last. I learned that I can't fall in love with just anyone and that friends are only friends for a reason. I learned to love people for who they were and to leave people for who I was. I am glad to have met every last one of you. Take care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love it, i need to write a letter like this...

♥brit

ChicagoRilke23 said...

i enjoyed reading this. thanks. it reminded me of how i really feel despite my emotional side which tries to fill me with more angst than i need. something like that...
anyway, thank you.