Wednesday, April 15, 2009

deadliest warriors aka ADHD vs ADD

"So there's this new show on Spike called "Deadliest Warrior" that should be, well, fucking awesome. I have the first 2 episodes on my DVR, but haven't watched them yet. Basically, they film reinactions of the possibility of the coolest battles that you can possibly imagine in a beer-induced haze. Episode 1 was Gladiator vs Apache and Episode 2 was Viking vs Samurai. So, before the rest of the season rolls out, create your own Deadliest Warrior matchup and have them throwdown."


Deadliest Warrior Matchup. Shibby. I don't watch UFC or MMA or even amateur oil wrestling. Besides, are you serious Spike TV? Viking versus Samurai? Be for real. I should had known your judgment was off-kilter when I saw that (supposedly sexy) bleach-blond chicken-bone of a girl you had reporting live from Beauty Bar last year. Karen Carpenter was so last season. Be. For. Real. Okay, it's unfair to you guys. I am just stalling as I have no idea what to write.

Chicken bones and homing missiles. Silos, Afros and wooden whistles. Missing children and bloody thistles. This is how my mind works when I can't produce something tangible; manageable. A series of images that play through the scene: enter stage left, exit stage right. Some images have a few lines of monologue to spout while others have none at all. A simple gesture is all it takes for the more vivid ones. I don't claim to understand it but I appreciate it. I prefer my thoughts in visual format. I went to see The Octopus Project's visual show at the Alamo Ritz on February 25th and saw the most amazing animated short film. It was simply named Rabbit and it was created by Run Wrake. If you haven't yet seen this film, go online and watch it please. Innovative, simple and brutally honest. You wont have the amazing sounds of The Octopus Project to accompany the film as I did, but you can still appreciate its sheer brilliance.

With everything having a label in this world, and I mean everything, the film had me thinking of the nature of greed and labels. Manifest Destiny & the Louisiana Purchase. The Great G.I. Joe exchange of 1987. To what cost do you get what you want? I don't like wanting things or having the feeling of needing them but I do nothing to change it. I am part of the problem and the solution. What game am I playing?

1 comment:

sk said...

I really like the rhythm, and your spin on the premise makes me smile. Very nice.