Monday, April 13, 2009

Freebees

"Uh, it's Monday. Yay. Since we are almost at the halfway point, I wanted to give everyone a little bit of catch-up time, so today is a free day. You write about whatever the hell you want to write about and post it."


I, I, I, I wanna write right now. I'm JBee and I came to get down. I'm not internationally known, but I'm known to rock the microphone. I obviously have nothing to write about today. I had an interview earlier. I kicked ass but surely had to pay the price for my awesomeness. I was nervous since Tuesdays email advising me of my impending interview time. Last night I didn't sleep a wink. Well, I did sleep at least a couple winks.

I knew it was a dream to begin with. The house was oddly shaped. The kitchen was a long skinny rectangle of a room with only about 3 feet of space to walk through. All the appliances were lined up along the length of the wall and the other side was nothing but tall windows. It was all brown and tans too. Gross. My brother and sister where standing there explaining a very detailed situation to me, or trying to explain it. It was reminiscent of being super high on Acapulco Gold with those fools and having very lengthy conversations in the kitchen. They were just a little too happy. They looked just a little off.

So Josh, my brother, says that he accidentally traveled to another dimension or something. I love these conversations so I oblige by giving him my full (though foggy & dreamlike) attention. I remember this happening as a visual queue, as he became clearer and more defined. He explained that the dishwasher must have been the location of a warp or wormhole or something. He simply bent over to put a dish into the holder and he was transported to a parallel universe. I laughed. They didn't. So I mocked him by waddling over to the sink and picking up a spoon. I walked back to the open dishwasher and leaned towards the round sprinkler section in the middle with the spoon in hand. I saw the round cylinder stretch and pull towards me. With a snap of circular white light that expanded towards me and outside my peripheral vision I was instantly looking up at my Josh and Amanda from the floor of the kitchen.

I felt this very unique sensation in my head as soon as I saw my siblings looking down on me. It felt like a quick pressure and then release of a small section of my actual brain. It didn't hurt but it did feel a little cold. The feeling began slowly dissipating as soon as it arrived and took no more than a handful of seconds to disappear completely. It was in the top left center area, and after looking at medical diagrams, I would say it was in the primary somatic sensory cortex/motor cortex region. Looking back with this new found knowledge of the brain makes the dream and odd sensation even creepier and surreal. The primary somatic sensory cortex receives information from skin receptors and distinguishes different types of sensations. The motor cortex sends instructions to muscles to cause voluntary movements. A-fucking-mazing.

I didn't get a chance to speak to them as they were both too excited and simultaneously explaining to me that it had worked, and I was in another dimension. I was a little shook up by the barrage of information too. I was thinking, "If I actually did end up in a parallel universe I need to go back right away!" I bent down instantly and the same thing happened again. Stretch of vision, circular white light and the odd feeling in my brain. I didn't wake up on the floor this time though. The feeling disappeared a little sooner too. I was standing in the same spot as when the dream first began, which was sort of leaning on a window, facing the dishwasher and standing as the third point of a perfect triangle between Josh and Amanda. They were surprised to see me. They explained that when I bent over I simply vanished. When Josh had claimed to do it the first time, there were no witnesses. They couldn't believe what had happened. I told them in as much detail as I could what had happened and that I did not think that it was a good idea to do it again. Josh tried but it didn't seem to work for him any longer.

I felt nervous and anxious watching my brother try to repeat the process over and over so I yelled at him. I became really angry. I told him that he shouldn't try. What would happen if he went there and couldn't return? What if he went somewhere entirely different and couldn't return? The whole idea freaked me out. I attempted to grab his arm and turn him away from the dishwasher. I went through again. I was once again on the floor in the kitchen. I continued the process of going back and forth several times while trying to prevent my brother from purposely doing what I had done several times now by mistake. I went through this pattern so many times that I realized I didn't feel the brain thing any longer when I entered the "other" world. So I had no clue which world was my original. This thought freaked me out so badly that I started hyperventilating. This is how I woke up. Scared and amazed. Perplexed and breathless.

2 comments:

sk said...

"Scared and amazed. Perplexed and breathless."

Hearts. And. Stars.

I think this one is my favorite you've posted so far.

eclecticdialectic said...

Aww, thanks SK. You make it easy.