Thursday, April 30, 2009

myownwriting

"Today's assignment is a simple one. Go back and review your own writing. Have you developed a style? Choose 3 words that describe your writing style, providing at least one example from your posts for each word.Style, to a fiction writer, is basically the way you write, as opposed to what you write about (though the two things are definitely linked)."

This might be the hardest one of all. Do I have a style? I have been told that my writing is very "unique" and isn't like other writers. That may possibly be the equivalent of saying a persons newborn baby is "breathtaking". I am glad that I can be somewhat identified as a writer. God knows my art/hand side lacks a name or distinguishable face. I can't honestly tell you what my 3 words would be. I have failed this assignment. My mission is to write without fear or blocks or pride. I don't need to create over the top scenes or white knuckle suspense if it is real to me. I want to grab the reader by the heart (...hand, or hair) and give them the same sense I have felt from reading books all my life. It is so much more than a movie! This is a very personal experience that can't be compared to watching a film and because of that I feel that my writing must reach a person on some sub level, some sort of subconsciousness, that can only be found by leaving my pride at the door. I have always considered my writing to be a part of therapy, for myself and anyone else that can see through the bullshit. Identifiable as a style? I have no clue.

2 comments:

sk said...

did you read my comment comparing you to kool aid? That is how I would define your style. There's a lot of flow, and the images you bring are catching. Your posts are a joy to read.

By the way, I thought of you the last time we went out to a party barge. We passed a "JBee" road.

eclecticdialectic said...

That is awesome! I will gladly accept the kool aid style. What a compliment.

JBee road? ¿Que Eso? I suppose there is a reason that I never feel quite at home.