Saturday, April 4, 2009

wake up in the past

"You wake up today and you are in the late 1800s. Your life is completely devoid of all of the technological comforts that we hold dear. No cell phones, no laptops, no Facebook, no television. What is your day like? Do you actually make it through the day without committing suicide?"

I have found my thoughts traveling to this topic more than once. Beyond certain luxuries of hygiene and comfort I believe I would be fine. I grew up in the fields working as a slave. Though I despise manual labor now, I think having to do it for survival would feel different. I might welcome the forced exercise too. I am a huge fan of electronics as well but I could easily adjust to the "simple life". I already dream of being lost in the middle of nowhere far from the news, radio towers, traffic lights and ghetto neighbors. I welcome it actually. This day and age is not for me. I am not impressed.

I would rely on my street smarts (lies and fabrications) to establish a new career for myself. I would travel the world and search out free thinkers like myself. I would start a new sect of families that lived with the future of the world in their minds. I would steal all the story lines from every movie and book that I have ever experienced and claim it as my own. This would fund my projects for world enlightenment. I would be the most prolific artist/writer/musician/activist the world has ever known. It wouldn't be an honest path but at least it would be headed in the right direction for the people I left behind in the future.

2 comments:

sk said...

I like how positive this post is, and setting yourself up as the greatest writer, etc. ever is a great idea, if not entirely honest.

ChicagoRilke23 said...

Rock on!